Friday, October 09, 2015

This is my third win this year, but I swear I'm not cheating.


I've often joked that maybe Hastings should give me a kickback, and maybe they have: Wednesday I won a variant cover Invincible Iron Man #1! Picked up a copy to read as well, and...OK, now I feel kind of bad, since I won Secret Wars #1 before and didn't really care for it, but this was only a little better. There was a bit that felt like a jab at the X-Men, which may not have been the intent, but the way Marvel's treating that franchise lately that's how it came off; and another during Tony's date that seemed out of character for him. (The latter featuring a cameo from a character I wasn't sure Tony had even met at this point, but it was drawn well at least.) I don't want to say the Iron Man movies have made the comic redundant...but man, that's how this issue feels; and that should not be the case.

The new armor design isn't really doing it for me, either...

At any rate, I did pick up some other stuff, that of course we'll get to later. And I started getting the new Omega Men, since it felt like any book DC was going to cancel probably had to have something going for it. Took me a bit to find Convergence: Batman & Robin #2 with the first part of the story, though. (It is available a few places online, but I wanted the issue as well.)

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Free stuff is always good!

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Congrats on the free swag. They should just go ahead and make your their official unofficial spokesperson by now, especially if you just happen to name drop your blog.

I like the variant cover though. Cute. What's this X-Men jab you speak of?

googum said...

Spoiler: Tony's date is also a genius, and Tony asks her about any secret inventions that she wouldn't dare expose to the world. She says she has a cure for mutants. I think it's intended to show how super smart she is and that she's good enough not to use it...but with the way Marvel and Fox seem to be at odds lately, it's tough not to read more into it.